bookmark and highlight labels
I've really enjoyed using Quirkos for my qualitative analysis.  I've found it intuitive and powerful.

A couple features that would make life easier.  
  • A bookmark to identify where I stopped coding a long source.  
  • A way to identify what quirk a certain highlight matches.  Since the colors repeat, it is not always obvious which code I've given to a passage of text.  Either the name of the quirk could appear, or the quirk itself could jump up...
Thanks!
Hi Gopher,

Great suggestions! I like the bookmark one, and will look into this.

There is already a way to see what Quirk a highlight belongs to, if you hover your mouse over the coloured strip in the highlight column, the name of the Quirk is shown in the bottom right on the screen. Hope this helps!

Daniel
(22-12-2016, 01:34 PM)Gopher Wrote: I've really enjoyed using Quirkos for my qualitative analysis.  I've found it intuitive and powerful.

A couple features that would make life easier.  
  • A bookmark to identify where I stopped coding a long source.  
  • A way to identify what quirk a certain highlight matches.  Since the colors repeat, it is not always obvious which code I've given to a passage of text.  Either the name of the quirk could appear, or the quirk itself could jump up...
Thanks!

I second this sentiment and both of these requests.

To clarify the Bookmark request:
Quirkos already remembers the last source you had opened (as well as the previous 2), but for long sources or for cases where you want to come back to something later, it would be nice to have some way to bookmark or memo it so you can easily find it again.

Work-around for Bookmark:
Perhaps a dedicated quirk/code called "Bookmark" could work for this. However, because this activity really occurs at a meta-level compared to coding, it would be so much better not to have these memos appear in the coding results (and then have to remember to pull them out manually each time you create a report).

To clarify the Highlight Labels request:
As a Windows user, when I hover the mouse over the highlight in the "Highlights Column" I expect a tool-tip style popup to appear that shows the name of the quirk/code used. For me this would suffice. However, I also like the idea of having a more graphical indication, such as enlarging or haloing the quirk in the "canvas area."

Work-around for Highlight Labels:
In writing up this reply, I noticed that the text at the bottom left of the "canvas area" (next to Settings) changes depending on where your mouse is. It normally shows the software version number, but if you hover over a highlight in the "Highlights Column", it shows the quirk/code name for a little while before reverting back to the version number.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan